What is dry needling and how can it benefit me?
Dry needling is a remedy utilized by healthcare providers in which we insert very satisfactory filament sterile needles (acupuncture needle) into tissues, if you want to stimulate a recuperation effect. Depending at the precise factors selected and the method used, its proposed consequences are
- relax muscle spasm and myofascial trigger points (knots in the muscle) to improve function
- assist with pain relief
- reduce inflammation
- improve local immune / healing responses
How does it work?
Dry needling assists with lowering nearby muscular ache and enhancing characteristic thru the recovery of a muscle`s cappotential to extend and shorten typically with the aid of using liberating myofascial cause points.
When a high-quality filament needle is inserted into the centre of a myofascial cause point, it’s miles believed to impact the discharge of chemical compounds withinside the frame with the aid of using stimulating the nerve fibres nearby. The nerve sends a sign alongside the spinal wire to the mind that can have numerous effects, along with the discharge of chemical compounds and growing blood flow. This can offer a ache unfastened window of 2-three days and an possibility to retrain the muscle tissues with much less tightness and ache. This window can permit us to deal with the underlying motive of the issue.
What will you feel during Dry Needling treatment?
During a dry needling remedy, you can experience a moderate sting because the needle is inserted and removed. However, this soreness have to remaining not than a 2d earlier than settling.
A quick muscle twitch also can be skilled all through a dry needling remedy. This may also arise all through remedy whilst the needle is inserted right into a myofascial cause point. You may also experience a heaviness or stupid pain regionally or distally from wherein the needle become positioned it. Trigger factors refer, so that is a regular element to experience.
Common side effects post treatment
- Most patients will respond really well to treatment, however in the same way that some people might feel post treatment soreness after a manual therapy session, they might also feel sore after dry needling. But be reassured, the soreness should only last for 12-24 hours.
- Very minor bruising or bleeding may also occur. An ice pack can be used to help recovery for 10-15 minutes following the procedure.
- Fatigue and drowsiness is a possible side effect. We encourage patients to have a snack or drink some water if this occurs. Even some appropriate rest before driving a vehicle if necessary.
Diffrence between dry needling and acupuncture
Dry needling is not the same as acupuncture, although there are similarities between the two techniques. The main difference is the theory behind why the techniques work. Dry needling is primarily focused on the reduction of pain and restoration of function through the release of myofascial trigger points in muscle. Whereas acupuncture is defined as the stimulation of specific acupuncture points along the skin of the body corresponding with 12 imaginary energy channels (meridians) on the body. Acupuncture focuses on the treatment of medical conditions by restoring the flow of energy through these key points in the body to restore balance.
The assessment that occurs before dry needling involves palpation, range of motion of muscles and joints, dermatomes, myotomes and a twitch response. The assessment that is involved before acupuncture includes meridians, ying and yang pulse, tongue diagnosis, acupoints and no twitch response